Want to join, weight questions?
Create Post

Post Want to join, weight questions?

Marines, first and foremost, thank you for honoring your country.

My grandfather was a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, and he instilled in me the values necessary for me to become a proud American man.

Unfortunatley, After he passed in 2004 i rapidly gained weight, going from 178 to 282 pounds in about 4 years. I started dieting and working out a year and a half ago, and it has changed my life completely. I am proud to live in a country where anything is possible, and i would like to serve and protect those rights that i treasure.

To date, I have lost 55 lbs. I have a commitment i did not used to possess, and usually when i wake up in the morning i weigh in right around 227-228. I know this is too fat to be a Marine, and I dont even want to bother seeing a recruiter, cause i know that Marine would tell me the same thing. I am 6'1". what do you think my target weight should be before seeing my recruiter? What sort of weight loss could one expect to see during the 12 week training? If any of you have heard any stories, or have any experience with these questions, I would be honored to have you take the time to answer them.

God Bless

Marine Corps Recruit Weight Chart

Weight Chart Requirements for Entry into the USMC DEP - Male
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...weightmale.htm

How much weight you lose in boot camp/recruit training all depends on the individual person. Some recruits lose weight, some don't, and some stay the same.
    Good luck to you!

Thank you Ma'am. Looks like i can join, but i need a little more work on the retention. Take Care.

You're welcome! Keep up the good work with losing weight. You've done great so far, keep it up!
    Also, you said you weigh about 227-228 and if I'm reading the chart right for males, you're already under your max weight for 6'1" (73 inches) and your age bracket.........241.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    You're welcome! Keep up the good work with losing weight. You've done great so far, keep it up!
    Also, you said you weigh about 227-228 and if I'm reading the chart right for males, you're already under your max weight for 6'1" (73 inches) and your age bracket.........241.

Yes Ma'am. Forgive me if I am asking a stupid question, but if i read it right. Does that mean i need to be around 5% heavier than 208 at max before i can ship to Training? there was something about being around 18% bodyfat. I am at about 28%... Ouch. (my scale could suck but i dont know) So it looks like i am going to hit the trails around town and try to run off this flab before i earn the right to head to training.

A recruiter can give you better details on your weight and all than I can. I'm just going by what the charts says about your max weight for your height........but like I said, you've done great so far with losing weight, keep it up! Don't put any of that weight back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington700XCR View Post
    Yes Ma'am. Forgive me if I am asking a stupid question, but if i read it right. Does that mean i need to be around 5% heavier than 208 at max before i can ship to Training? there was something about being around 18% bodyfat. I am at about 28%... Ouch. (my scale could suck but i dont know) So it looks like i am going to hit the trails around town and try to run off this flab before i earn the right to head to training.
    This year the Marine Corps stiffed up it's height/weight standards. The term Military Personal Appearance has more of a meaning now and even if you are under your max weight and tape measurements are fine you can still be put on the spot if you are pointed out as not within a military appearance (ie: your stomach pokes out to far, busting out of your uniform, etc). Before it was easy to slide by these weight standards with tapping, those with large necks could slide by with a large gut because of how the tape system calculated. That is not the case anymore.

Here is the new physical fitness program order, I highly suggest you take the time to read this order front and back. This will tell you everything regarding the PFT, weigh-ins, taping body fat %, height chart, male and female standards of course and it also covers the new scoring system for the PFT and the new CFT.

https://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/Pub...6100_13PFP.pdf

The link doesn't work for me.

The IIMEF domain seems to have issues from time to time, here is the same order straight from marines.mil

MARINE CORPS ORDER 6100.13 W/CH 1
    http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...20W_CH%201.pdf

Thread Information